Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Life in November

The kids were really sick for about five days.  It seemed like about two weeks cause it was right at the end of my clinic rotation before my Christmas break, I had a 10 page paper due and Julia was trying to get a book made and sent off for publishing for her mom for Christmas.  Anyway, the kids are back to their good old crazy selves again.  It has been nice being off from the clinic, but there is so much to get done here at the apartments and in other aspects of life that I have been neglecting during my training.  There is so much to deal with in life. 
We do miss Traci.  She was such a big help.  The kids seem to be coping okay.  Julia’s and my dating life is officially on hold again.  
Some funny stories from our lives.  Brendan has been on this real kick about wanting to be dominant or compete for power in the house.  I think I told  about his insistence that he is the alpha lion (Madagascar 2).  The other day I was sitting in the recliner and I grabbed Brendan‘s arm.  He started pulling and tugging and fighting to get loose, not even giving up for anything.  It was very entertaining.  I finally got tired of holding on to him and let go.  He fell over, cause he was pulling so hard, but quickly jumped up and declared “I’m stronger than you.”  He always wants me to hold his arm now so that he can prove that he is stronger than me.  He will twist and squirm and fight for probably 15 minutes or more (hilarious to watch) and when I finally get tired of holding on and let go, he always exclaims, “I’m stronger than you.”  If it wasn’t so funny to watch him work forever at it, it would be annoying.  
For a while all three kids were dealing with conjunctivitis (pink eye).  I kept on telling Brendan while he had it, “don’t touch your eyes.”  For the next several weeks after, whenever Julia or I would rub or scratch our eyes, Brendan would adamantly remind us, “don’t touch your eyes!”  
While Traci was here, we were watching the Real Salt Lake soccer game (they won the championship if you didn’t already hear – it was awesome).  Brendan asked who I was rooting for.  I told him the red team.  He replied, “I want the blue team.”  The funny thing was that the only player on the whole field with a blue jersey on was the Real goalkeeper.  About 10 minutes later or so we were still watching.  Real had a goal kick, it showed up close the keeper kick the ball real hard and Brendan said to himself, “Yes, he did it!”  I had no idea that he was still paying attention, but he was so tickled that his color jersey booted the ball so far.  Traci and I had a good laugh over that one. 
Now for Eliza: I was buckling her into her carseat, the clip across her chest was a little tight and she got some clothing caught in it so it didn’t make the loud click that it usually does.  Eliza asked me to help her and I pushed on it and of course it didn’t click because it was already in all of the way, but she was waiting to hear a click.  After my attempt failed to produce the necessary click, Eliza quipped, “Mommy can do it!”  I don’t know what Julia is brainwashing into these kids while I am gone during the day.  
On our FHE chart we have our different assignments and the kids get so excited for their part.  I dread however when Eliza’s name falls on the prayer.  For the entire week, for every family prayer when I ask anyone else to say it, she argues with every Erickson trait that she possesses, “No I am on prayer!”  We are constantly explaining the difference to help her understand that she does not say every prayer for the whole week.  
The other night she was sitting on Julia’s lap late trying to wind down for bed.  All of a sudden she exclaims, “Mommy something stinks!”  Julia tried to suggest some possible sources of a stench and Eliza replied, “No, it’s your mouth!”  It wasn’t, but there was no convincing Eliza of that.  She can be very sweet at times too.  Almost every day when I walk into the house at the end of my clinic day she will break out into song, “I’m so glad when daddy gets home . . . ”  She sings the whole thing so sweetly and exuberantly.  Truly the good stuff in life.  
On one of the few occasions when Eliza was in a good mood and Brendan moping, Eliza was trying to get his attention.  When she said “Brendan” he responded “I’m not Brendan.”  She proceeded to go through all of the other names that his imagination has portrayed in the past; Hercules, Link, Alex, Dragon Warrior, Mickey Mouse, etc.  She got the same response for each summon.  Finally she asked him, “Then who are you?”  Wanting to be left alone he said, “I’m nobody.”  That is not what Eliza heard though.  Still looking for one of his various fictitious names to call him she said, “Hey Snow Buddies” (from the “Airbud” sequels with the puppies).  Sometimes the two of them communicating is a riot to listen to.
Lincoln has also been funny in his nonverbal ways.  He is always trying to mimic the other two.  Tonight I was videotaping the kids dancing to “Feliz Navidad” and Brendan was running and lunging onto the recliner and throwing his feet up in the air.  When he was done, I saw Lincoln in the background of the camera view walk over to the recliner and plop his head down on the seat of it, trying to mimic Brendan and then looked over at me as if awaiting a response.  He is so funny sometimes.  He loves to laugh and has such a cute little giggle.  Sometimes we can really get him going. 
A BIG THANK YOU TO TRACI FOR TAKING SO MANY PICTURES OF OUR CUTE KIDS!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin