Thursday, July 17, 2008

It's POTTY time

So before Neil went off to school in Seattle, he gently reminded me that it really was time to potty train Brendan. I thought to myself that that may just be the straw that is going to break the camel's back while you are gone...but then decided that I should give it a try. By the way, my mom reminded me that she potty trained all of us by herself while dad was gone and that he really didn't do much to help us go potty in the toilet when we were young. So we've tried it! Eliza was the one who started going pee-pee in the toilet first. Brendan was scared to even sit on the porcelain throne. He kept on saying that it was Eliza's turn. So we put her on a couple of times. She has gone twice...mainly because I haven't really pushed it that much, but have had Brendan as my number one priority. We will potty train Eliza when she gets a little bit older...but wouldn't that be wonderful to have them both potty trained by the time #3 arrives! I think that could be my goal down the road. The first day was probably the craziest...well maybe I should back up and say that the first day that we tried to have underwear on was a disaster. Half way through the day and accidents in all of the pairs of underwear that Brendan had in his drawer and Brendan's solution was: "I need a diaper and wipes." I agreed and put him in one right away. I won't count that as his first day because I really didn't know what I was doing at all. I was frustrated and I know that he was too. The next time that we started with underwear was much better. We set the timer for 20-25 minutes all day long. And we sat on the potty all day long. I think we read all of the books that we own at least once if not twice... (that is why I have to wait at least a month before trying with Eliza). But Brendan was a good sport and I don't think he had any accidents that day. A pretty big difference from our last try. I won't say that we haven't had any accidents since then, but I will say that it freaks out Brendan a lot worse than me and he is trying really hard to keep his underwear dry. He is even telling me when he has to go now instead me always prodding him. I do try to remind him a lot during the day though. We are just so proud of him being a BIG BOY now.
We know that it is just around the corner for Eliza. She insists on wearing Brendan's Shrek and Elmo underwear over her diaper everyday and she even came out like this today...so after a few more good weeks with Brendan maybe it will be her turn to finally get some candy for going potty.
We are having a lot of fun at home, but miss our dad so much. We look forward to webcam conversations and Friday nights all week.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin